Peru with Machu Picchu - Classic Group, 2023
Peru With Machu Picchu – Classic Group, 2023
Feast on Peruvian delicacies in Lima, tour the ancient Korikancha temple in Cusco and adventure through the Ollantaytambo ruins of Machu Picchu, on this two-week exploration of Peru. Follow in Paddington Bear’s esteemed pawprints as you cross the country, stopping for a Private Planetarium Tour in Cusco. After uncovering the influence of astronomy on Andean culture, join a Local Expert in Machu Picchu for a guided tour through the ancient ruins-set high in the Andes against breathtaking backdrops. Visit the salt pans of Maras in the Sacred Valley where the Incas used to harvest the mineral and visit with a local Quechua Weaver to learn their ancient weaving techinques in a private presentation. In Paracus, be sure to pause at the Pisco distillery to sample this tasty local tipple.
- Lima: Make your way to Lima’s Pueblo Libre District and indulge on a Highlight Lunch in the Museo Larco’s 18th century garden.
- Altar Inca: Enjoy lunch at Altar Inca with impressive views of the Sacred valley surrounded by the breathtaking Andes Mountains.
- Sacred Valley: Make your way to the small lagoon of Laguna Piuray where you’ll enjoy your Highlight Lunch of Pachamanca, a traditional Peruvian feast.
- Machu Picchu: Head back to your hotel to unwind, before sitting down to a Highlight Dinner with your fellow travellers.
- Cusco: Enjoy an immersive slow-cooked Cusquenian lunch at Pacha Papa. Lunch will be served al fresco at the courtyard of a historic mansion in the artsy neighbourhood of San Blas.
- Cusco: In the evening, join your fellow travellers for a memorable Celebration Dinner at Calle del Medio, where you’ll enjoy innovative interpretations of classic Peruvian Creole dishes while toasting to your new adventures.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfast (B), 4 Dinner with Wine (DW), 5 Lunch (L)
- Machu Picchu: In the afternoon, take your first guided visit to Machu Picchu with Local Experts where you’ll explore the sophisticated 15th century Incan citadel set high in the Andes Mountains.
- Cusco: This evening, make your way to Cusco’s planetarium to learn more on how the Incas interpreted the stars. After a reception with hot wine (or tea) and appetizers, local experts will explain and share stories about the influence the starts had on Andean culture. You’ll then be lead to a room specially accommodated to view the ancient night skies, weather permitting.
Make Travel Matter
- Sacred Valley: Join a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® experience as you visit a local traditional Quechua weaver in the Sacred Valley for a private textile presentation. You’ll learn about ancient weaving techniques and the importance these textiles have in shaping personal and regional identities.
Top Rated Highlight
- Lima: This morning, explore Peru’s buzzing capital with your Local Expert, including the Cathedral of Lima, the Government Palace, the Archbishop’s Palace and City Hall.
- Museo Larco: After lunch, meet a local guide who will take you around the Museo Larco, a private museum located in Lima’s Pueblo Libre District and home to the largest collection of Pre-Columbian art.
- Sacred Valley: Start with a visit to the Maras salt pans. Move on to an Incan laboratory in Moray, then visit and support a local traditional Quechua weaver.
- Machu Picchu: Transfer to the station for your 360° IncaRail train ride. This train ride offers an unforgettable experience journeying through the Andes Mountains in style with large panoramic views allowing guests to enjoy the amazing scenery of the lush mountains and the Urubamba River en route to Machu Piccu Pueblo.
- Machu Picchu: On the way, visit the Ollantaytambo ruins, consisting of a large fortress built in the 1400s, a stepped terrace, and an area known as the Princess Baths, where ceremonial bathing took place. Later, stop by a a local house in the village and meet the family living there.
- Cusco: Once you arrive, head on a walking tour of Cusco with a Local Expert. Explore what’s known as the “historic capital” of Peru as you discover its ancestral magic through visits to the cathedral and the Korikancha temple.
- Cusco: Start your day with a walking tour of Cusco, before heading to Sacsayhuaman.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Arrive in Lima
Lima to Sacred Valley
Explore Sacred Valley
Explore Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu at Leisure
On to Cusco
Leisure time in Cusco